Pages on Here

Saturday 22 January 2011

Big Phony, Idiotape and Apollo 18 at Seoulsonic: Friday, January 21st 2011

This was a gig that I was looking forward to but I went to with no expectations. Armed with an open mind and intrigue I hopped on subway line three and headed for Seoul’s ‘Welcomm Theater’. It was to be an interesting night, full of surprises.

The first surprise was the venue itself. I realized before hand, after looking at the website, that it was going to be a kind of art gallery or art space. What I hadn’t accounted for was that the gig would be all seating. It was also full and deathly quiet upon entrance. Packed with people who were respectfully waiting for the bands all I could think was, ‘where is the beer?’ ‘Hell, I’ll even settle for Vodka’, I thought. Alas, I quickly realized that this gig, or perhaps ‘artistic showcase’ is a better word, yes this ‘artistic’ ‘showcase’ was to be alcohol free. Great. I decided to try and find a ‘pew’ in this strange ‘pristine’ environment. I decided to stop worrying about the surroundings and focus on the music.

First up was a deviation from the advertised gig. Singer-guitarist ‘Big Phony’ took to the stage. Admittedly, it wasn’t a great environment for any performer so I could understand any discomfort with playing here. However, Big Phony was clearly nervous which showed in his performance. He never really got settled into any kind of ‘groove’.

He opened with some beautiful and admirable guitar and vocal work. Generally he had a good voice, some interesting melodic ideas and a beautiful guitar sound. The song ‘Short Intermission’ was a highlight. But, for whatever reason, his songs really never ‘took off’. The verses were great but I was waiting for a defining chorus, or a bridge, or anything to take me to the next step. I was waiting in vain. Big Phony’s potential never came to fruition at this gig. However, I sense that there is more to come from this artist.

Next up were electro-rockers ‘Idiotape’. With a mixture of solid syncopated beats, intelligent synth playing and sampling, layering and changes in rhythm they created a sense of ‘orchestrated madness’. The set grew into something which sounded really professional. It was the co-ordination of the instruments, intelligent synth lines and loudness of the live drums which helped create feelings of emotion and intensity. Each song was better than the last. However, there was a point where the sound seemed directionless.

Around halfway through the set, from a spectacular peak, the performance dipped dramatically. The music felt repetitive, unoriginal and ‘wanting’ to be emotional. However, as quickly as they fell, Idiotape picked themselves up again. Overall there was some genius synth work. The songs peaked into something totally original. I considered that Idiotapes performance would be hard to beat. I was about to be proved wrong.

When heavy rockers Apollo 18 stepped on stage they had an appearance which said ‘I am going to kill you’, which I loved! They were the tightest sounding band of the night and were very energetic, making full use of the stage. Indeed, at one point the singer proceeded off stage, ending up somewhere in the crowd. The singer was successful in charming his audience with passionate guitar work and charming conversation.

Apollo 18 were ‘gentlemen and killers’, creating beauty in noise. There were some great reverberating vocals, followed by massiveness, screaming and self depravity. ‘Kill me I want to die, kill me I want to die’, I kept muttering to myself as I listened. At times it also felt quite ‘Mogwaiesque’ and the post-rock influences shone though during intricate, beautiful and masterful guitar work. The pounding bass fitted well with the heavy hitting drums and heavily distorted guitar. Overall this performance was beautiful.

After Apollo 18 had left the stage the crowd was left visibly shaking. My head couldn’t physically handle anymore noise and I was forced to make an early exit from the venue. Apollo 18 had killed me. This was no disrespect to the other talented artists. Apollo 18 were just leagues apart.

I arrived at Seoulsonic with few expectations and I left in a state of shock and awe.

Oliver Philpott

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog